Monday, April 8, 2013

Writing Process Narrative Piece:


Writing Process Narrative Piece:
I started out writing about my two sets of Grandparents, all named Joan and Ed. Which was fun to piece together, but didn’t have the revelation aspect. What I’m still struggling with here is that this story/experience/mindflow and personal transition is something so intensely emotional that I’m still working through in my own head I have no idea what it feels like to hear it as someone else. My biggest fear is that it is confusing, cliché and uninteresting. It’s interesting to me because they are new thoughts and feelings for me, but I don’t know if I am conveying them in a way that is interesting to my readers. Mostly I wrote about this because it was what fit this prompt in my life right now. Not because I was very confident I could tell a good story through these events. How can I make it do both?
I struggled mainly with the prompt… I had many narrative experiences I wanted to write about, but none with a core revelation. Because this experience was relatively recent in my life, when deciding what to write about I kept going back to it, and going back to it, thinking about how perfectly it fit the prompt because it did cause me to think entirely differently about myself. But I never imagined myself as someone who would write a piece like this. It felt (still feels) kind of like a cliché, first love sort of piece, and for some reason now that makes me feel stupid for writing about it. I guess I’m just wondering how it sounds… cliché? It’s my own, so its hard for me to see that, but if that’s the case that’s one of the biggest things I want to revise.
It’s something that’s on my mind quite a bit, and so writing about it was really good for me. I used a lot of journal entries, excerpts that I remembered feeling sooo good writing about because they were such genuine thoughts and feelings, written while I was caught up in it all. The more I wrote the more I found little, telling details that helped me to show the story rather than just tell it. So, of course, more time for this piece will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment